Thursday 4 April 2013

BMW 3 Series GT. Contrasting opinions.

I've always been a big fan of BMWs even on Chris Bangle's  worst day! I do however find hard to appreciate the need or the function of the new 3 Series Gran Turismo.

I do understand the practical side of the hatch yet I prefer the Touring's style or the X3 if an higher driving position is your requirement. The 3 Series GT is priced so near an equivalent 5 Series Touring to already create conflict within the BMW brand without stepping into another manufacturer's threshold.

I was reading Will Nightingale's article on the May issue of WhatCar? magazine and I must admit that he's a very democratic and detailed journalist who managed to highlight the functionality of the interior without being too harsh on the exterior design. However I couldn't have contained myself from criticizing the odd looks.

The front end's double kidney which is the BMW signature is too big and the headlights are not as captivating as in the standard 3 Series. The back is rather heavy and the profile, for some reason, reminds me of a 1970's Lancia Beta Saloon which is not a good thing.

BMW should have learnt from the 5 Series GT. I can count in my hands how many I ever seen on the road. Even Citroën realised that the C6 was a step too far and never went back on that route. MG

No comments:

Post a Comment